USA W-7 for my wife

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

My wife and I just moved to the US in May from Bolivia. I am a US citizen but she is Bolivia. I've begun filling out a w-7 because I would like to file my taxes as married filing jointly but I have a few questions. I assume I need to wait until we get a response from the IRS about my wife's w7 before I can file my taxes. It looks like it could take 11 weeks to process. Once I get a response, will they include her tax identification number in the response? Can I request an extension on my taxes until we get a response? Also, my wife originally came into the country on a tourist visa with the intent to return to Bolivia but some circumstances changed and we ended up filing an adjustment of status. Our request has been received and my wife has an alien registration number. In the w7 there is a section where it asks what type of visa the applicant has and when it expires if applicable. Would I enter my wife's tourist visa and that it expired in October? or would we leave it blank? If we leave it blank, in section 6d would we check USCIS documentation and list her alien registration number?

Thanks,
Caleb

Ask a Question