USA What can I expect after graduating?

Reaction score
I will be graduating in may with a bachelor's in accounting. I didn't do an internship and didn't participate in any organizations so my resume is pretty much blank. The university that I'm graduating from has a great business college. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a job and if I do, I don't know if I can perform all the job requirements. I passed all my classes with A's and B's but started to lose interest in accounting. What will I be required to do if i do get a job? I'm worried that because I lost interest in Accounting and didn't pay attention that much, I won't be able to do my job.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In general, for entry level accounting jobs the boss will tell you what to do. You will need your basic accounting and Excel skillset. No need to worry about developing a new brilliant accounting policy - that will not happen at this point. But if you continue to show no interest, things will not go well......

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to look for entry-level or junior-level jobs to start. I can't speak for every accounting company out there, but if you came to my office looking for a job, I saw you serious, and you showed to be responsible and to have a clear idea of what you would be doing, there is no reason not to give you a chance.

Conversely, if I see you insecure, lost in the space or irresponsible, I would think it twice... or more.

It depends on your attitude, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In general, for entry level accounting jobs the boss will tell you what to do. You will need your basic accounting and Excel skillset. No need to worry about developing a new brilliant accounting policy - that will not happen at this point. But if you continue to show no interest, things will not go well......
You need to look for entry-level or junior-level jobs to start. I can't speak for every accounting company out there, but if you came to my office looking for a job, I saw you serious, and you showed to be responsible and to have a clear idea of what you would be doing, there is no reason not to give you a chance.

Conversely, if I see you insecure, lost in the space or irresponsible, I would think it twice... or more.

It depends on your attitude, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Great advice guys!

Remember, it is a VERY competitive job market out there. 1 in 10 doesn't have a job and would do almost anything to have one. If you don't stand out from the crowd as exceptional, you will fall into the pile of resumes.

Reaction score
An E-Guide Just for Graduates Like You

I am Mazhar Mahmood, a professional senior management accountant with years of work experience in management accounting, and I’ve made it my goal to ease the transition of newcomers like yourself from academics into a career in accountancy/finance .

Unlike other books in the field, my E-Guide "How to Produce Management Accounts", is specifically aimed at graduates, students, fresh hires and all those individuals, who seek to find out the function of Accountancy/Finance in the overall Organisational makeup.

By providing a precise, to the point and sequential list of income statement/profit and loss activities, the guide will provide a practical guide of what to expect in the real world and will also give a degree of confidence to you by imparting adequate knowledge and business acumen.

Download your sample by googling "How to produce management accounts" and follow the link to accountingweb.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. Post a link here to your book.

Ask a Question