What do we charge taxes on?

Reaction score
We have a product we're going to be selling online. It's customized US Postage Stamps.

We're not sure if, when an order comes from someone in our state, wether we will need to charge tax on the total price, or just the amount we're over the cost of the product (what we're paying our provider to create etc)?
upselling
Another caveat is the fact that part of our cost is for the postage fees, and I'm not sure if we're required to charge tax on postage or not.

If anyone has an answer on this, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking around today to see if I can get a solid answer on this.

Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sending you a private message on this

Reaction score
Kirby, I appreciate the response. It was suggested that I do that, and I didn't so my bad there. =)

We're in a slightly unique position, because we're partnered with a company like stamps.com that is creating the stamps for us and drop shipping. So in a case like that, I'm not sure how we should handle tax of the printing fees we're getting charged.

I know we're not being charged tax by the printer (we sent over our resellers certificate), but I'm not sure if we need to charge tax on their fee and ours, or just ours. I hope this makes sense, and perhaps I should just ask them? I believe we'll need to charge tax on both their fee and ours, based on the fact that we're not being charged tax... =/

Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question