What forms are nonprofit's required to file?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am neither an accountant or a book keeper. I work as an executive director for a nonprofit that I founded a few years ago. We are a 100% volunteer run organization and we focus on educating people with disabilities to improve their quality of life.

We just received recognition of our 501 c 3 and we are wondering what forms we are required to file each year?

We have never made more that $1,000 per month. The way we have made this money is by selling book donations on amazon. We did receive $1,000 a few years ago from a foundation and we received $2,000 to organize a forum on disability.

I want to stay in compliance with California State requirements and Federal requirements.

Any feedback would be helpful.

We would also appreciate it if anyone would be interested in volunteering
to teach us to organize our chart of accounts and to use our Quickbooks for NonProfits to track our expenses properly. We are based in San Francisco.

Thanks,

Lori

Reaction score
Here is the EXACT tool you are looking for:
https://www.aplossoftware.com/state-filings.jsp

Its a free tool, where you pick your state from a dropdown menu and it lists out all the agencies (ie. IRS, Sec of State, etc) your organization will have annual filings due to.

Also - regarding the chart of accounts.. that same company (aplos) has a web based nonprofit accounting software, that I'd recommend as well.

Tim Goetz

Ask a Question