UK What is the best route to get Into accounting

Reaction score
I have past my first year of AAT qualification I am struggling ALOT in my second year I'm wanting to not continue as I am finding it too difficult as I do not work in an accounts firm. I am also a practical person I find reading books a boring n unmotivated way to learn I am more of a practical learner. I am worried If I leave my course I won't find anything in accounts, although I was thinking of just startin at the bottom n working my way up. As you can see I don't know what to do I need help!

What is the best route to get into accounting?

Reaction score
Go for a professional qual. if you don't your career choices will be severely limited (Have a quick job search online and see how many you can find that are "qualified by experience"

If you are more practical minded, I would suggest getting a job at a small company as you will be exposed to a wider variety of areas which will give you a practical basis for answering exam questions.

Unfortunately, the exams and reading to some degree are unavoidable.

Reaction score
Why not contact the professional bodies for the sector, they should be able to advise, and give you names of local practices that take trainees.

Reaction score
I have to agree that it can be extremely difficult to progress in accountancy without a professional qualification and if you're struggling with AAT then you're very likely to find the professional accountancy exams very challenging.

If I was you I would try to get as much practical experience as possible, would recommend a smaller firm and get feel for the job to see if accountancy is for you.

Ask a Question