When to start proper accounting?

Reaction score
Hello all, a partner and I have started doing online sales about 2 months ago. When I first started I was able to keep track of everything via spreadsheets but after a few weeks now, I have lost track of a lot of stuff so I just purchased Quickbooks software with their 3 month support plan. Now, sales people will tell you anything so I decided to come here to get one piece of advice from actual users. I will need to know what profit I am making on a "weekly" basis.

The QB sales person said I can start from fresh right now or I can also go back to when I first started since I have all receipts of all expenses and money made, which would be best for me? To start using QB by continuing with my weekly sales or should I sell out the existing items then start fresh with new inventory please? Thanks.

Reaction score
I would start by importing what you already have in Excel into QB. Then data enter or download the remaining transactions from your bank.

Reaction score
Mike, I'd agree. With only two months of data to import, it makes sense to start from the beginning. You might as well be able to generate full and complete reports with all of your info.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing it already, but just to provide affirmation:
yes I would definitely just start fresh and not worry about importing.

hope it's going well!

Reaction score
This answer might really sound redundant but I would like to agree with both Mr. Cline, JRosenFDS and meja1. It is always a great idea to simply start fresh with your accounting. Importing can also post serious problems.

Ask a Question