Who pays estate tax?

Reaction score
With more and more assets transferring directly to beneficiaries and bypassing probate, I'd like to know who is responsible for paying the estate tax on those assets. I believe that the 'estate' is legally responsible for paying any estate tax due, but that may pose fairness or practical issues.

What happens if the ex-wife became the beneficiary of her ex-husband's $6 million life insurance policy (owned by him) and he dies leaving $1M to his new wife, and $1M in a 401k to his kids (by his first wife). His taxable estate is $2M ($6+1+1 - 1 marital deduction - 5 current exemption), resulting in perhaps a $1M estate tax bill (federal and state). The only money in the estate is the new wife's $1M and the estate owes $1M in estate tax. Does the new wife lose her entire inheritance? Are the kids and the ex-wife liable for any of the estate tax?

Reaction score
The estate needs to seek the advice of a competent tax professional.

Your question is too complicated to answer here.

Reaction score
Surprising answer...

Thanks for your response.
However I am surprised at your answer. I think my question is simple - Does the executor have any legal right to force a beneficiary to pay the estate tax that is due as a result of their share of an inheritance even though their share is not part of the probate estate?

Ask a Question