Why Accounting?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm really new to Accountancy and have only recently started looking into it as a career.

May I ask what made those of you who currently work in the industry, choose Accountancy, over other options within Finance or even outside?

Regards,

Oukka.

Reaction score
Not sure where you are, Oukka, but here in the U.S. the wages for an accountant are relatively high (double the average wages for all professions according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics). Jobs are also available for the profession, since demand will be average until 2020.

You can read more stats at my website -- click the link below.

Reaction score
Oukka - I know exaclt the position you are in, but the most important thing to ask yourself is why are you doing it?

Are you doing it for the money or are you doing it because you are passionate about it?

There is a big difference here & it is a long debate but you should talk to both sides of the table on why people choose to do what they do then see how you relate.

there are two paths, and you are in a great place now early on to make a decision instead of being pressured into one.

Reaction score
I do my job because I love the problem solving aspect of it. There's something really gratifying when I can find an elegant solution to a tough problem. The money is a bonus too.

Reaction score
I was better at accounting than finance or other b-school topics. Starting wages can be high and when I started studying accounting getting recruited was easier than now. Also felt accounting was more specialized than general business degree. The finance positions I interviewed locally for turned out to be sales- selling life insurance & annuities; and I don't have that personality or desire to lose friends and family. If I were to do finance, it would have to be more stocks based, still prefer accounting and will sit for CPA exam soon.

Reaction score
Accounting pays very well, but there are a lot of other reasons that it can offer you a rewarding career. If you like making things "add up," and enjoy creating and discovering order, it can be a great career path. It's very satisfying too to realize you are helping others to save and earn money.

Ask a Question