Winter Fuel Payments for 2005


M

Mitchum

Anybody know when the DoW&P are planning to make payments this year for
winter fuel allowances?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robbie

Mitchum said:
Anybody know when the DoW&P are planning to make payments this year for
winter fuel allowances?
usually from the first week in November. The aim though is to ensure all
payments are made before Christmas. In the past this meant staggered
payments because of the amount of people on order books (therefore paid
by giro). With many people now paid to banks the DWP have a little more
leeway with regards to the date they have to pay everyone. I'd expect
most people will be paid by the beginning of December though, to allow
for any problems.

Robbie
 
R

Robbie

Robbie said:
usually from the first week in November. The aim though is to ensure all
payments are made before Christmas. In the past this meant staggered
payments because of the amount of people on order books (therefore paid
by giro). With many people now paid to banks the DWP have a little more
leeway with regards to the date they have to pay everyone. I'd expect
most people will be paid by the beginning of December though, to allow
for any problems.

Robbie
I found this in the DWP Winter Fuel Allowance leaflet:


When will I get my Winter Fuel Payment for
winter 2005/2006?

We are making automatic payments over a number of weeks
from early November 2005 until Christmas 2005. So don’t
worry if you get your payment at a different time to someone
else in your household or other people who live near you.

If you have not had your automatic payment by Christmas
2005, you should call the office that pays your benefit or
call the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 08459 15 15 15
(0845 601 5613 for textphone users). If you are making a
claim for a payment for winter 2005/2006, you should return
your claim form as soon as possible.

We expect to make payments by Christmas 2005 for
successful claims that we receive by 23 September 2005.
You can still claim after that date but it may mean that you
don’t get your payment before Christmas. If you make a
successful claim for a Winter Fuel Payment for this winter and
remain eligible, you should get your payment automatically
in future, as long as you let us know about any changes in
your circumstances.

We must receive all claim forms for winter 2005/2006 by
30 March 2006.
 
M

Martin Davies

Mitchum said:
Anybody know when the DoW&P are planning to make payments this year
for winter fuel allowances?
Its usually in before Christmas.

Martin <><
 
M

Martin Davies

Robbie said:
I found this in the DWP Winter Fuel Allowance leaflet:


When will I get my Winter Fuel Payment for
winter 2005/2006?

We are making automatic payments over a number of weeks
from early November 2005 until Christmas 2005. So don’t
worry if you get your payment at a different time to someone
else in your household or other people who live near you.

If you have not had your automatic payment by Christmas
2005, you should call the office that pays your benefit or
call the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 08459 15 15 15
(0845 601 5613 for textphone users). If you are making a
claim for a payment for winter 2005/2006, you should return
your claim form as soon as possible.

We expect to make payments by Christmas 2005 for
successful claims that we receive by 23 September 2005.
You can still claim after that date but it may mean that you
don’t get your payment before Christmas. If you make a
successful claim for a Winter Fuel Payment for this winter and
remain eligible, you should get your payment automatically
in future, as long as you let us know about any changes in
your circumstances.

We must receive all claim forms for winter 2005/2006 by
30 March 2006.
And as I recall, the council tax rebate money mentioned in the budget should
be paid at the same time.

Martin <><
 
M

Mike

Martin said:
And as I recall, the council tax rebate money mentioned in the budget should
be paid at the same time.

Martin <><
It's all bundled into the same payments, consequently there are quite a
few variations on the amounts paid.
For example cust on Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit don't get the CT
rebate portion as they are entitled to a full rebate anyway. This will
undoubtably cause quite a lot of queries, pension centres are braced for
up to a 40% rise in telephone enquires because of these payts.

Mike
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robbie

Mike said:
It's all bundled into the same payments, consequently there are quite a
few variations on the amounts paid.
For example cust on Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit don't get the CT
rebate portion as they are entitled to a full rebate anyway. This will
undoubtably cause quite a lot of queries, pension centres are braced for
up to a 40% rise in telephone enquires because of these payts.

Mike

what about pensioners who aren't on the Guaranteed Credit but still get
CTB - do they still get the council tax rebate money paid with the WFA?

Robbie
 
M

Martin Davies

Robbie said:
what about pensioners who aren't on the Guaranteed Credit but still
get CTB - do they still get the council tax rebate money paid with
the WFA?
Robbie
Not sure.
I know those who aren't on guaranteed credit and don't get CTB will get it,
even if not liable themselves for council tax.

Martin <><
 
E

Ellis

Not sure.
I know those who aren't on guaranteed credit and don't get CTB will get
it, even if not liable themselves for council tax.
This is getting very interesting. Let us imagine a few scenario's of how the
£200 help with CTB may be distributed.

Pensioner "A" is on Guaranteed Pension Credit. Gets full CTB. Receives
nothing.
Pensioner "B" doesn't get any CTB at all, but pays full Council Tax.
Receives £200.
Pensioner "C" is not on GPC, does not get CTB, and is not liable for council
tax. Receives £200
Pensioner "D" is not on GPC, but has a low income, so gets some help towards
Council Tax. Receives £????

I had imagined that Pensioner "D" would receive a pro-rata portion of the
£200, but if Pensioner "C" is getting the full £200 and does not even pay
Council Tax, then it does not make sense.

It is not at all surprising that morale is said to be low in the DWP. The
Treasury are decimating the staff whilst at the same time over-loading them
with nonsensical and thankless tasks. No wonder the pension centres are
gearing themselves up for a 40% increase in phone calls

Ellis
 
M

Mike

Martin said:
Not sure.
I know those who aren't on guaranteed credit and don't get CTB will get it,
even if not liable themselves for council tax.

Martin <><
I have re-checked the deskaid and it just says those getting PC (no
mention of elements) will not get the £200, I kind of assumed that those
on SC would get it as they don't ususally get a full CTB rebate.

It's going to be a long december.

Mike
 
M

Mike

Ellis said:
This is getting very interesting. Let us imagine a few scenario's of how the
£200 help with CTB may be distributed.

Pensioner "A" is on Guaranteed Pension Credit. Gets full CTB. Receives
nothing.
Pensioner "B" doesn't get any CTB at all, but pays full Council Tax.
Receives £200.
Pensioner "C" is not on GPC, does not get CTB, and is not liable for council
tax. Receives £200
Pensioner "D" is not on GPC, but has a low income, so gets some help towards
Council Tax. Receives £????

I had imagined that Pensioner "D" would receive a pro-rata portion of the
£200, but if Pensioner "C" is getting the full £200 and does not even pay
Council Tax, then it does not make sense.

It is not at all surprising that morale is said to be low in the DWP. The
Treasury are decimating the staff whilst at the same time over-loading them
with nonsensical and thankless tasks. No wonder the pension centres are
gearing themselves up for a 40% increase in phone calls

Ellis
Essentially you either get the £200 or don't no partial if you're
getting a bit of a rebate and whether you are responsible for council
tax or sponge of your children is irrelevant. I've yet to get my head
around all the scenarios, res care, PC, living alone etc. I am quite
sure that most people will query their WFP.
Of course the arbitrary Qualifying week (19/9 - 25/9/05) inevitably
irritates customers who because their birthday falls a few days later or
their circs changed the week before, don't qualify for payment. This is
essential otherwise the scheme would be even more complex to administer.
On one hand GBrown wants to reduce bureaucrats but still seems to want
to increase bureaucracy!

Mike

Mike
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Martin Davies

Ellis said:
This is getting very interesting. Let us imagine a few scenario's of
how the £200 help with CTB may be distributed.

Pensioner "A" is on Guaranteed Pension Credit. Gets full CTB. Receives
nothing.
Pensioner "B" doesn't get any CTB at all, but pays full Council Tax.
Receives £200.
Pensioner "C" is not on GPC, does not get CTB, and is not liable for
council tax. Receives £200
Pensioner "D" is not on GPC, but has a low income, so gets some help
towards Council Tax. Receives £????

I had imagined that Pensioner "D" would receive a pro-rata portion
of the £200, but if Pensioner "C" is getting the full £200 and does
not even pay Council Tax, then it does not make sense.
Presumably the pensioner C would be living somewhere where council tax is
payable. So they could contribute.
Just not personally liable themselves.

It is not at all surprising that morale is said to be low in the DWP.
The Treasury are decimating the staff whilst at the same time
over-loading them with nonsensical and thankless tasks. No wonder the
pension centres are gearing themselves up for a 40% increase in phone
calls

You notice the decision to give this extra money was given in the Budget,
which was before the general election.
Methinks that may have had something to do with it, though waiting until
after the election to pay it out could have meant it was someone else's
problem if it didn't help get enough votes.
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Ellis

Essentially you either get the £200 or don't no partial if you're getting
a bit of a rebate and whether you are responsible for council tax or
sponge of your children is irrelevant.
In that case it would seem that every one who qualifies on age grounds (65+)
will get the rebate, providing they are not on Pension Credit Guarantee.
Single house-holds to get £200. Couples to get £100 each, plus people in res
care to get £100 (if not on PCG). (According to some sources).
I've yet to get my head around all the scenarios, res care, PC, living
alone etc. I am quite sure that most people will query their WFP.
At least the payments are all in multiples of £100. But there are numerous
variables. Winter Fuel Allowance payable at 60+, Council Tax Rebate payable
at 65+. People living singly or as couples. Plus couples who split up,
become reconciled, die, move home, or go to live abroad.
Of course the arbitrary Qualifying week (19/9 - 25/9/05) inevitably
irritates customers who because their birthday falls a few days later or
their circs changed the week before, don't qualify for payment.
Reminds me of a woman whose husband died suddenly of a heart attack. If he
had died a day or two later she would have qualfied for a widows pension.
She was, perhaps understandably, somewhat bitter.
This is essential otherwise the scheme would be even more complex to
administer.
On one hand GBrown wants to reduce bureaucrats but still seems to want to
increase bureaucracy!
He just seems incapable of thinking through the effects his policies will
have on the front line staff who have to implement them. Possibly he does
not very much care. He makes wonderful speeches and basks in the applause of
the adoring party faithful. What else matters?

Ellis
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top