UK Bank Reconciliation - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently had an issue where I've created a BACS file on my accounts software for payment (made up of several different creditors) which totalled £1515. When I logged onto my bank to physically make the payments I realised that I didn't have the bank details for 1 of the suppliers. I contacted the supplier who (rather oddly) said he would only accept payment by cheque. The payment was only for £15. I subsequently wrote a cheque out for £15 and sent it to him. Unfortunately (one month later) he still hasn't cashed the cheque. Therefore I now find my self in a situation where my accounts package thinks I've made a bulk payment of £1515 but in reality only £1500 was debited from my bank. In an attempt to correct this, and therefore reconcile my bank, I (wrongly) entered a cash book receipt of £15 (coded to suspense) thinking that this would correct the issue, as in effect I'd now be telling my software that the total payment out was £1500 (£1515 - £15). This clearly wasn't the right thing to do, as not only did I have to clear the £15 receipt off my bank rec to get it to balance, the bank rec now also shows an outstanding lodgement of £15 !
What steps are needed to put right my wrongs !? Thanks.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't you just reverse the extra entries to take you back to the ledger showing £1515? The £15 difference is just a reconciling item due to the cheque not yet being cashed, and it will continue to be a reconciling item until either the cheque is cashed or it expires and you write it off in your favour.

It's normal for the bank balance in the ledger to be different from the balance in the actual bank account at any given time, and the bank rec is basically just to show what the difference is made up of.

Ask a Question