USA Does your alma mater matter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am curious to know if when applying for a job, do employers look at your alma mater. I am looking at universities and have narrowed my choices down to two, one of them being American Military University. My concern in chosing AMU is that an employer may not consider me because the HR manager is not familiar with the school. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Luis

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Proof that an alma mater matters has been in the news lately. Look at the folks who were spending big bucks illegally to get their kids into name universities.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Proof that an alma mater matters has been in the news lately. Look at the folks who were spending big bucks illegally to get their kids into name universities.
Saw that. But that example says nothing about employers and their hiring processes.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
If you are capable and hard working it shouldn't matter but before you can prove yourself you need to show your cv and your alma mater so I guess it does matter for some.

J

John Baker

Sooner or later, we all find out that it's a .. "who you know world, more than a what you know world." The Ivy League Schools are called the Ivy League for a reason, and not because they're cheap. Rubbing elbows with the upper crust is expensive for a reason. Friends of a feather stick together. Besides, the upper levels of the economic well-to-do, just don't sit back and enjoy the view. They socialize, fraternalize, establish life long relationships - to include marriage, all for a reason. Take a look at the take home $$$ of the CEO's in this world, and you'll see that reason in cold hard cash.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When seeking to hire efficient and competent staff. . . we are sometimes bombarded with many CVs. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to read every CV or to interview every candidate. I have to admit that my eyes do go right to the name of the school they attended and for entry level positions I have found that sometimes the better candidate is one who is able to graduate from the more elite schools. Doesn't mean they are smarter, but certainly able to finish and compete with a hunger for success. It does get your foot in the door.

Ask a Question