USA First year accounting major - questions for career class

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Aryan and I am first year accounting major at a local community college and I plan to transfer to a four year university which offers programs in accounting.

Right now, I am taking general ed (IGETC) at my college and for this semester, one of the classes that I am taking is career and life planning 110. My teacher assigned a project where we, the students, are tasked with conducting an informational interview with two different individuals from the career area that we are interested in --- and you can guess--- that mine is accounting!

I am hoping to introduce myself to the community, meet some new fellow colleagues and associates who could give me knowledge and some basic information about what it's like being an accounting major, how life after graduation is like, the job prospects, daily tasks in an accounting occupation, typical salaries, favorite aspect of the position, and so on.

The goal of the career 110 class is to help me identify potential areas of interest that I would like to major in. So far, we have taken two personality assessments (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and another one similar to it). My results for the personality test matched my areas of interest in finance, accounting, auditing, CPA, and economics.

Math is my strongest natural academic subject, I love being organized, following a standard set of protocols, and thriving in a balanced, organized, structured environment.

It's a pleasure to meet you all and I hope you will accept me with open arms! I'm a nice Iranian, I promise! (or am I?!)

Questions that I am to ask are the following:
-Can you tell me about a typical day on the job as an accountant?
-How did you get started doing this type of work?
-What is your favorite part of the job?
-What is your least favorite part of the job?
-What surprised you the most when you started working in this field?
-What is the typical salary range for someone in this line of work depending on geographical location and demographics?
-How do you see this industry developing in the future? How is your industry changing?
-What advice would you give to someone who wants to get started in this industry?
-What are employers typically looking for when hiring people in this line of work?
-What is your educational background?

The final part of the assignment involves me writing a four to five page essay on the above information. For sources, all that I would require (if you're comfortable posting it or privately messaging me it) is the title of the position you hold and your username or first name.

I hope to be an active member of the community very soon and that I am making the right choice to invest time and energy into the field of accounting!

My goal for future regarding higher education is to get my master's in accounting and have my CPA license. The specific field and sector I am striving for is privately owned corporate accounting with CPA knowledge.

Fellow accountants unite and roll out!

Thank you all for your time,
Aryan

Ask a Question