USA Getting that first job

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello forum
I have t posted in quite some time. Got a Mac a few years ago and never did find an accounting job.
Covid didn’t help. You d like to try again.
how do I approach this? I am in my 50s.
I’ve have plenty of experience managing and bookkeeping and general business operations and have worked for a year doing accounting tasks in govt job but not in an accounting firm. How do I get started without doing entry level??
I got discouraged last time I tried to find a position. I’d like to try a small firm to at least get the experience requirement for the test.

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What industry/industries have you worked in previously? If you've got a lot of experience in, say, widget manufacturing, you might approach firms that audit the financials of widget manufacturers. You could apply for audit positions with them, and highlight your industry experience as a plus in auditing their books. That way you're not so much "entry level" as "entry level plus", so to speak. That should at least get you in the door.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in manufacturing for a while when I was doing my accounting. I haven't been doing an accounting related job the last 4 years.
So, while I do have knowledge i may be treated as a beginner. Not really sure. Anyway, I think the plan is just send a resume to every accounting firm I can or go through an agency? I'm going to reach out to the Alumni office of my school to see if they can assist.

Ask a Question