USA Help with payroll transaction

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I use QB online and I am trying to account for payroll taxes paid. We have 2 employees that are paid weekly. I account for the payroll taxes each week and place that into the taxes payable account. I need help making the proper entries now that the taxes have been paid. The transaction downloaded from the bank so I will peg that to the tax EXPENSE account now that it is paid. My issue is if I do a JE to move the money from the payable account I now have 2 entries into the EXPENSE account. What am I missing?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the bank made the payroll tax payment then that portion of the overall payment is to be recorded as debit to payroll taxes payable.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Here is an example.
Gross Payroll $ 1000 Debit Payroll P&L: $ 1000
Employee FICA $ 75 Credit FICA Payable: $ 75 + 75 = $ 150 ( add company FICA)
IRS withholding $ 100 Credit IRS Payable $ 100
Net paycheck $ 825 Credit Cash $ 825
Company FICA $ 75 Debit FiCA Expenses $ 75

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the bank made the payroll tax payment then that portion of the overall payment is to be recorded as debit to payroll taxes payable.
I still think I'm missing something. Won't that just offset the payable account and clear the balance sheet? How does that make it hit the P&L?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is an example.
Gross Payroll $ 1000 Debit Payroll P&L: $ 1000
Employee FICA $ 75 Credit FICA Payable: $ 75 + 75 = $ 150 ( add company FICA)
IRS withholding $ 100 Credit IRS Payable $ 100
Net paycheck $ 825 Credit Cash $ 825
Company FICA $ 75 Debit FiCA Expenses $ 75
This part I got. Now that we have paid the taxes for the month I am trying to move the money out of the payables account (balance sheet) to the paid account on the P&L. I tried to make a JE between taxes payable and the expense account to clear out the payable but then when I end up with a double posting in the expense account because the I have to post the bank transaction to the expense account too.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think to solve this you should post here all your actual entries. If you want to disguise the amounts , modify each amount by the same factor. For example if there is a $200 debit and a $300 credit multiply both by say 5 to disguise amounts while keeping entry in balance.
Or send as private message to me or Werner or both. Log in to forum and click on envelope icon at top.

Ask a Question