USA If you owe money to the IRS, will they garnish your COVID stimulus payment?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read an article that said they will not, but I wanted to ask here.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
The devil is always in the detail. According to the latest news I have, the government decided not to send checks that need to be handled manually for obvious reasons. They will transmit the funds into people's bank accounts. Should your bank account be frozen, you might want to open a new account and use the IRS online website that they apparently will open and give them your new bank account #. This will avoid time-consuming negotiations with your bank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IRS has yet to establish that website BUT I have seen scam artists flooding social media etc. with information about it. Taxpayers need to be extra careful this year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Ripcord, they won’t take your stimulus check due to the fact we have the CARE act (SEC. 2201. 2020 RECOVERY REBATES FOR INDIVIDUALS.). The only case I read where they can garnish your check is due to child support. Anything other than that, you will receive your check fine and you won’t get penalized for it.

Ask a Question