USA Out of state Independent Contractor

Reaction score
Just got a letter saying I haven't paid my 2012 CA state tax.

So initially my Virginia employer moved me out to California to contract for a company out in LA for five months. I moved out in November 2012 and with the contract being renewed for another year, I have been living here ever since. I get paid through my VA employer, they deposit directly into my bank account even though I believe the checks are addressed to my old VA address. My employer also pays for my rent out here. Technically, they just take a cut from my paycheck though.

I paid my 2012 state taxes to VA. I have been paying estimated taxes for 2013 to VA. I assume I was correct here by being paid from a VA company but I may (probably) be wrong. I just received a letter saying I haven't filed my CA income tax return. When I filed my VA tax return for 2012, I said I lived in CA since November 2012 and thought everything was fine. I'm not sure how to reply to this letter or if I'm supposed to even file a tax return. If I am, will I be able to credit it?

I'm also worried about 2013 taxes because I have been paying the estimate tax to VA instead of CA even though I have been living here over a year now. Am I able to get the money back from VA and pay it to CA?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Duy

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
SOUNDS to me like for California tax purposes you were NON resident for 2012 and a Resident for 2013 (and 2014). Either resident or non-resident, ANY wages you earned working in Calif are taxable by Calif. (and as Resident any OTHER income you earned ANYWHERE is taxable by Calif - not so for NON resident). So yes, you have some 2012 and 2013 taxes to file in Calif and amend in VA. And better start paying ESTIMATED 2014quarterly taxes to Calif.
Yuck, what a mess. Employer should have given you a "heads up" on this.

Last edited:

Ask a Question