Prepayments

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone shed some light on the below situation and accounting for it.

Rental Invoice is received for a full year in advance. Payment is to be made in 4 installments. How do we account for this in terms of the invoice, prepayments,etc.

Thanks!

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You recognize rent expense over the period you occupy the property. So if you are paying this over 4 installments, each installment covers 3 months. You credit cash for amount paid, debit expense for 1/3 of the invoice and debit prepaid rent for 2/3 rent. In next month you debit rent expense for another 1/3 and credit prepaid rent. Same for third month. Next quarterly bill you start the cycle over.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for this.... but if we have received the invoice for the full year and paid for only 3 months ( first payment) how do we recognise the rest of the invoice? we cannot record it under prepayments as we have only paid 3 months in advance for now? Please see example below:

Invoice received 01st Jan'12- 1,200,000
Payment made 01st Jan'12- 300,000

Next payments to be made on 1st April'12, 1st July & 1st Oct'12 by post dated cheques...

Hope I am able to clarify my question. Thanks!

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You said you are only paying 3 months at a time as required under the invoice. If so the fact that the invoice also lists the full year rent is irrelevent as you are contractually liable to only pay 3 months at a time. You only recognize a liability for rent due and payable - in this case what is due is 3 months at a time.

As an example, lets say I rent a premise and have a 1 year lease, I am required to pay monthly. I dont recognize a liability for the whole lease day 1 but recognize my liability each month I owe rent. Same in your case - you have a 1 year invoice but pay each quarter. Hope this is clear.

Reaction score
Excellent!!!!! thanks!! We would only recognise the 3 months liability at a time......

Reaction score
Dear,
When you make a payment and it's not due at that date then you must record it as prepayment e.g. Prepayment Debit & Cash/Banks Credit and gradually when it becomes due you should adjust it e.g. Particular expense debit and Prepayments credit.

I hope it's clear to you.

Regards,
Manzoor ahmed

Ask a Question