UK VAT Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could assist.

I have sadly been working with a rogue trader (builder) and have noticed something on his invoicing that looks odd to me, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me please.

Throughout the build, the builder submitted various payment applications and charged 5% VAT on these which seemed fine, as I believe 5% is the correct VAT charge for any residential (an extension) construction work. The issue for me is when it came to the provision of the associated invoices and receipts for the requested (and paid) applications. Please note he never provided receipts.

Each application (as mentioned) showed a VAT charge of 5% and an overall total, however the subsequently produced invoices (all supplied over year later), shows the same overall total, but the charge before VAT is reduced and he has then stated that the chargeable VAT os 20%.

This looks dubious to me, and I was wonder if this is VAT fraud?

His reputation is horrendous so I am expecting the worst, but if this could be clarified in layman's terms for me please I would really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please note as I am trying to reclaim some of this VAT via my own business it is confusing he has either over charged me on the costs of the actual construction work as it should reflect the costs associated with those on the invoice or deliberately under charged VAT on the payment application schedule , which I don't understand, but something isn't right.

Ask a Question