Where can I get a little accounting experience?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here. I live in the Atlanta area and I recently signed up for grad school to obtain a MS in accountancy. I'm looking forward to sitting for the CPA exam but I would like to get some part time experience. Any ideas??

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! :)

Businesses like people who are proactive - get in touch with local businesses (ideally by phone or in person - don't hide behind an email that can easily be ignored) and ask them what you can do to help them.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have considerable experience in tax preparation work and have coached a number of accounting students who entered this field while in college. Here are two options to consider.

First, I am acquainted with many people who first learned about tax at storefront operations like H&R Block and later become CPAs or Enrolled Agent tax experts. The training is only a start and nothing like the exam courses such as Enrolled Agent, RTRP and CPA Exam Review and CPE - Fast Forward Academy. However, the experience is more than just data entry into software for simple tax returns. Human thinking is required to determine eligibility for such matters as tax credits involving children and higher education costs.

Secondly, seasonal tax work is found at local tax practices headed by CPAs However, they generally hire only experienced tax preparers or individuals with proven tax expertise from passing the Enrolled Agent exam. I know many college students who studied for the EA exam at Enrolled Agent Exam Review and Study Guide during spring semester and summer. They passed on their first attempts.

Future advancement in the accounting profession is easily found by CPAs with a little experience.

Ask a Question