529 Plan for non-U.S. citizen

Discussion in 'Individuals' started by George Collins, Nov 7, 2017.

  1. George Collins

    George Collins

    Nov 7, 2017
    Likes Received:
    I am a resident alien working in the U.S. I would like to set up a 529 Plan for my son from a previous marriage in Costa Rica. He lives with his mother in Costa Rica where he is a citizen. I plan to have him come to the U.S. to attend college when he graduates from high school. He is currently 11 years old. Can I do this?.
    George Collins, Nov 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

  2. George Collins

    Drmdcpa VIP Member

    Aug 2, 2017
    Likes Received:
    You more than likely will need a US Federal ID number for your offspring to set up such account. Not always but generally this will be the case.

    As a resident alien you can create the account provided you have a US Federal ID number. But your offspring will not be able to recieve the funds or be listed as a beneficiary unless they have a US ID number.
    Drmdcpa, Nov 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.