USA 990-EZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I represent a Veterans Organization (501 (c) 19), whose land and building were donated to our organization 70 years ago. How do we properly complete our line 23 of the 990-EZ, Land and Building? How do we accurately assess the value of the land, as I assume the building is fully depreciated, well past 39 years? The property is assessed for $275,000, but I do understand we need to utilize the book value.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are correct. Line 23 instructions do not want the value of the land and building - they want the BOOK VALUE of the land and buildings. So, I take it that the organization does not have a set of accounting ledgers (books). Else you could easily get the needed info from the books. I agree building is fully depreciated at this point so book = zero assuming no residual value. Land is trickier. I would get a estimate from a commercial real estate person (or two) and go with that (again has to be the estimate for 39 years ago). THEN, I would get this organization set up on an acctg ledger system so you have a set of books.

Ask a Question