Assets vs Liablities of a small business

Reaction score
I would like to determine the equity of a small business however I do not have access to there complete assets or liabilities, however I do have all the revenues and expenses of the business such as GROSS PROFITS, TOTAL OPERATING EXPENSES, OPERATING INCOME and NET INCOME. Is there a formula to derive assets and liabilities from any of this? Thank you so much

Reaction score
Tell them to show you all their receipts for sales and payments made to suppliers and make an incomplete record by making a spreadsheet format of a cashbook which I have a ready made to hand.:D

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Short answer, no.

Long answer--you can estimate some of it. But not with any real accuracy. You can find out how much the initial loan was and the down payment. Down payment=equity. You can take all of the net income and add that up=equity.

The bank would have needed an asset to secure the loan, and that asset would probably be at least as valuable as the principle of the loan=asset. You can also get a copy of their federal tax return and look at the depreciation schedule for a list of assets=assets.

It sounds like you're trying to evaluate a business to buy. Buyer beware with businesses with incomplete records as they can be mismanaged, operated unethically, or worse, be an outright scam. It's a buyers market--find something really worth buying. :D

Ask a Question