Business owner unpaid collected sales tax in NJ

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope this question is not off topic.

Over 20 years ago I had a small computer business in NJ. I was under the impression I did not collect sales tax from my customers for this type of business. Years later I got a letter saying I owed $900 in sales tax that I should have collected and forwarded off to the state. They must have got this figure from the customers checks that I deposited into my business checking acct. They said they would penalize me $100 a month until it was paid. This was well over 20 years ago. I was a young, stupid kid at the time (had no money) and I put it out of my mind. I understand, I really don't need to hear it. :rolleyes:

A lawyer told me to check for judgements against me, which I have none. I'd rather not contact the state and say "hey remember me? I owe you that money!" Then they say "or yeah, pay us our fines!" So I've been nervous about it for years, but I would like to find out the "status" Can someone help me? I found no NJ gov website that I can lookup this particular niche information. What do I do at this point? I wouldn't mind paying the original amount if I have to (I really didn't think I was supposed to get tax from customers) but $100 a month for 20 years penalty is making me real nervous.

Help please?
:confused:

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
NJ offered a tax amnesty program in 2009 that would have been your solution. Now they have a voluntary disclosure program that is not as liberal. Anyway, have a lawyer look into that program for you.

Reaction score
NJ offered a tax amnesty program in 2009 that would have been your solution. Now they have a voluntary disclosure program that is not as liberal. Anyway, have a lawyer look into that program for you.
Thanks for the reply. What would happen if i just kept ignoring it? You used the word 'disclosure' thats the reason I ask. What will they do to me exectly, if you know?

Ask a Question