Can you easily transfer from public sector accountancy to private sector?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am job hunting for a junior accountant job.
My end goal would be to work in industry working my way up to a finance director/CFO position in a large multinational company.

I have had interviews for two jobs, one private one public:

Private sector job is a FTSE 100 company working in Finance, specifically reconciliations.+ process/post ledger accounting data (its quite limited)
I can choose to study ACCA or CIMA

Public sector job is a London council working as an accountant = preparing budgets & budget reports, returns,closing accounts, assisting in provision of financial advice, assist in producing financial statements
i would study CIPFA

after thinking about my future careers, going down the public sector/council may harm me,
i would be studying/qualify in CIPFA, specifically for council accounting so i assume would not be applicable/transferrable to private sector companies?

but i would be preparing budgets/accounts/returns which is accountancy

OR, i work for a large private company in finance performing recs and posting data to systems, not accountancy, but i can study and qualify in ACCA or CIMA

do you think going down the CIPFA/Council route would restrict me from future private sector senior finance jobs?

Would the fact i would be doing proper accountancy at a council but qualifying in CIPFA outweigh gaining weaker/limited experience in a FTSE 100 company but still qualifying in ACCA/CIMA?

Is there a difference in which path is more lucrative and stable career: public accountancy or private?

thank you

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like your decision in the UK is somewhat like the choice made by CPAs in the US to work in either public accounting or corporate industry finance. The variance in focus for these capacities is discussed in an article at Comparing How Skills from Study for CPA Exam Are Used in Public Accounting and Management Accounting Jobs | IRS Enrolled Agent, RTRP & CPA Exam & CPE Blog. The path you decide is crucial because moving from one sector of the accounting world to the other is not always so easy.

Ask a Question