USA Capital as expense

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there ever justification to expense a large (>$1M) Capital project?

Also, have you ever heard of capital projects starting off as expense, and switching back to capital halfway through?

Thanks in advance.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppose the folks who build Burning Man would expense the project immediately. :p So unless the project will be destroyed immediately I cannot think of a reason it could be expensed.
Can you share what it is you are doing and why expensing it is a hot idea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a new accountant here. Like I said, large renovation projects… Replacing floors… Are being expensed. Other projects are being split between expenseand Capitol.

I know gaap says you cannot expense these… But they are. So I am researching all the accounting theory here. I was told by one of the managers that it is not OK to capitalize expenses… But if a company wants to take the expense hit all at once… It is 0K.
He also said gaap are just guidelines… Not legal rules that must be followed. I think he is nuts but I’m trying to have an open mind

as to why a company would want to do that...hmm...I suppose there would have to be some benefit to making the financial statements look worse for them?

either way… I feel like you cannot pick and choose what is capital and what is expense?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess what I am asking is… A company knows the difference between expense and capital… Is making the decision to go against gaap, accounting fraud?

Ask a Question