USA Declaring S Corp Profits

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I have an S Corp set up that I opened up this year and am currently paying taxes on.

I have my gross revenue, from which I declare a percentage of this revenue as profits. From these profits, I declare a percentage as income (wages) to myself as an employee of the company on payroll. I am the sole employee of the company.

I have been dealing with one accountant (let's call him Accountant A) up until now, but I met with another accountant (Accountant B) recently and he suggested there is no real advantage in paying myself an income on payroll as wages.

Accountant B said I'm actually paying more in taxes because I am being charged a higher Social Security tax by putting myself on payroll (most employees who pay ss tax have a percentage covered by their employer, but because my "employer" is the S-corp I own, I am paying a higher percentage in taxes). He suggested I stop paying myself through Payroll wages and just declare the money as company profits or distributions.

I asked my Accountant A about this, and he told me that this is a loophole the IRS is cracking down on for people who have S-Corps and are trying to get away with paying SS tax. However, Accountant B who suggested I get off the payroll wages said that the IRS has been saying this for years and it isn't significant. He said I would be fine simply declaring any profits as company profits and not distributing a piece of that to myself as quarterly payroll as an employee of the company. However, this didn't make sense to me because if I go down this route, then from the perspective of the IRS how am I getting paid? How am I able to survive if I am not paying myself a portion of the corporation's profits as wages? How is money going into my pocket? Is there a different way of cutting myself a check when I pay my income taxes rather than paying quarterly wages? If so, what's the difference between doing this and paying quarterly wages?

Another thing Accountant B told me is that since this is my first year in business, the IRS is lax in terms of what I file as profit. In other words, he said since it is my first year in business, not making much profit or "breaking even" will not raise many red flags.

I feel like I am getting conflicting information from these two accountants. Accountant A is telling me I need to put myself on a quarterly payroll or I risk being audited or flagged. However, Accountant B is telling me it isn't necessary to do this, I won't be audited, and I will save myself money by not paying extra Social Security tax.

What I am seeking from a relationship with my accountant as I go forth in my business is, of course, someone who will help me save as much money as possible, BUT I want someone who will be earnest in their risk assessment of what I am declaring and keep me out of trouble and off the radar of the IRS. What constitutes "reasonable" when cutting yourself a salary from an S-Corps profits? Is it necessary to distribute a percentage of these earnings as wages to yourself at all? Is Accountant A wasting my money unnecessarily, or is Accountant B being too lax in his assessment of the potential troubles I can run into if I do not pay myself wages?

Please let me know if you need any additional information from me. I appreciate any responses! Happy New Year!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a line on the annual 1120S where you must report W2 wages paid to shareholder-employees. If this amount is 0, it is equivalent to holding up a giant sign in front of the IRS's face saying "Please Audit Me!". It might take a few years, but you will most certainly be audited. You will be the low-hanging fruit for the auditors. Easy money ripe for the picking. Then you will owe all of the previous taxes that you didn't play plus some hefty penalties and interest charges.

I don't know the specifics on the annual audit risk or the exact amounts of the penalties, but I highly doubt that the risk will be worth the tax savings.

The most optimal way to reduce your tax expenses is to pay yourself a salary that is competitive for whatever industry you're in. Just like you would for any other employee. It must be reasonable. Any profit that the business makes after paying its employees and other expenses you are free to distribute as non-dividend distributions.

Stay far away from accountant B.

Reaction score
Country
United States
An S corp owner has to be paid a reasonable wage given the realities of the business and its profits. That is clear. What is reasonable is not always as clear. There have been a number of court cases that address this. There have been other cases that address technical foot faults involving S corps, such as this one, that should also be considered. Your CPA or tax advisor should be willing to provide a written opinion as to what amount is reasonable and help ensure that you do not make some of the more common foot faults.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies. I would like to know: does having an C corp instead of a S corp change anything in regards to putting myself on payroll?

Is a C corp less likely to be audited?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is an interesting question. The very same reasonable comp issue comes up with C corps, but the IRS argues on those cases that the compensation was too high. This often comes up in professional service businesses, like law firms, that pay everything the business makes out in salaries. The reason why the IRS does this is that its wants to deny the C corps deduction for part of the salary and increase the C corp's tax. So to answer your question, I don't think it changes the risk inherent in paying yourself a reasonable salary, at least not from an IRS audit perspective.

Ask a Question