Delaying the capitalization of an intangible asset

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
What would make a self created intangible asset not to be capitalized after it has been implemented partially by a company. What justifications have been given by the standard?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hi Fidget thank you for your reply. I am talking about an internally generated asset in my case an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software. The software has already started being used however it is at its trial stage. This stage started in October 2015. All costs relating to it have been capitalized however we do not want to start amortizing it until January 2016. Does the standard allow since we are still incurring costs that relate to bringing it to its optimum use and state? Could we hold it was Work In Progress and start amortizing it in January 2016? Please let me have your thoughts on this.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it software intended to be used internally by the organisation, or for sale to others? And perhaps more importantly, which accounting standard are you referring to? I may be able to help if it's IFRS (IAS 38)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The software is intended for use internally. I have downloaded IAS 38 let me read through it if something is not clear I will ask you for clarification.

Ask a Question