USA Double entry debit/credit explanation

Reaction score
Country
United States
In double entry accounting, Credits decrease Assets and Debits increase Liabilities. This seems so backward to me. Is there an explanation or different way of looking at it that makes more sense?
Thanks

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Accounting is based on a set of defined rules. Those rules say that credits decrease assets and debits DECREASE (not "increase" as written in you post) liabilities. So those rules are a "given." Why do you believe this is "backward"?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Accounting is based on a set of defined rules. Those rules say that credits decrease assets and debits DECREASE (not "increase" as written in you post) liabilities. So those rules are a "given." Why do you believe this is "backward"?
You are right , Debits decrease Liabilities. I mistyped. The reason I thought this to be backwards is because an Asset is a positive thing, and a credit is positive. Therefore a credit to an Asset should Increase the Asset account.

In the meantime, I have found that debit and credit translate from Italian to mean: left and right, respectively. So maybe I need to adjust my thinking on what debit and credit mean, and how they work in double entry accounting.

Reaction score
I think in the double entry system of accounting or bookkeeping means that every business transaction will involve two accounts (or more).

Ask a Question