J/E for musical instrument

USA Discussion in 'General Accountancy Discussion' started by Musicretailer1933, Nov 3, 2018.

  1. Musicretailer1933


    Nov 3, 2018
    Likes Received:
    I own a music store and trade in used equipment to give credit for new equipment or services such as repair. What is the proper J/E for this transaction?
    Musicretailer1933, Nov 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

  2. Musicretailer1933

    Samir VIP Member

    Aug 15, 2013
    Likes Received:
    It depends on what you do with the used equipment. If you refurb them for resale, they become a part of your stores inventory. If you donate them, they become a donation expense. If you sell them to a metal scrapper to be melted down, that's also inventory that turns into a stream of revenue.

    The gist of the transaction is that you are modifying the debit portion of your debit-credit entry. Normally you would credit your revenue account to recognize your revenue and then debit the method of payment, ie cash.

    But when you're accepting a used instrument as part of the payment, you'll have a credit entry to recognize the revenue and then a debit entry for the instrument that varies depending on where it goes. I would initially put that entry to an account called 'used inventory'. Then, depending on what you do with that asset, make a credit entry to reduce the inventory and a debit entry for whatever was done with the inventory.
    Samir, Nov 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.