USA Lending money Internationally

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
A friend of mine that lives in Mexico is going through some hardship and is asking me to lend him some money with the promise of paying it back within a couple months.

My question is, if I wire him a certain amount of money from my U.S. Bank Account (Citi) and within the same fiscal year he wires me back the exact same amount to my bank account, do I have to pay any taxes for doing this type of operation.

To be clear, I am trying to say that at the end, when my friend returns the money, I will have the exact same amount of money in my bank account that I had before I wired him the money; Im not getting any gain/interest/profit from this transaction but the satisfaction of helping him.

I am forever grateful to whoever answers my question!

Thanks in advance for your help!

JPMV

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No income tax as there is no income. But you should probably file a FINCEN 114 (FBAR) report if the amount is over $10,000 USD. Really probably not needed but do so to CYA just in case. Form reports amounts you have outside of the US.

Ask a Question