Liabilities in Quickbook HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Hi! I started recently with a company that uses QuickBooks. They were doing journal entries AND entering bills to account for leases to be paid. At this time, they were also crediting a Lease Payable account every time a bill was entered.

Here is the problem. The Lease Payable account has an INSANELY high credit balance. After review of what's been happening the past few years I have determined the following:
Journal Entries: Debiting Leasing Costs and Crediting Lease Payable.
Bills Entered: Debiting Leasing Costs and Crediting A/R
Bills Paid: Debiting A/P and Crediting Checking.

How do I do an adjusting entry to show that Lease Payable was actually being decreased every time a bill was being paid???? At first I thought I should do an entry to Debit Lease Payable and Credit A/P, but I don't want my A/P to have some ridiculous new balance.

PLEASE assist. I am losing my mind over this!!!!

(At first glance I thought we were entering expenses twice, but that is not an issue)

Reaction score
Question: what exactly was posted as journal entries, if bills went to leasing costs and AP? If that was inception of the lease, than they did double-booked it.

Reaction score
In this case, they did double-book it IF journal entry and bill represented the same transaction. All you need to do is to debit your Lease Payable and credit Lease Expense for amount that was double-booked. I assume bills were paid?

Ask a Question