LLC filing as S-Corp - Benefits

Reaction score
I have an LLC that will make somewhere around $300,000 in profit this year. I also have a full time job that will make around $200,000 this year. As I understand it, I can file taxes for my LLC as if though it were an S-Corp. In doing so, I can pay myself a reasonable salary (say $125,000) and take the remaining $175,000 as a passive distribution.

The $125,000 would be combined with my $200,000 salary and taxed at a rate of 33% (married/joint). The $175,000 passive distribution would be taxed at what rate?

Like anyone else, I’m just trying to pay the least amount of tax that I can while paying a fair amount required by law… and hoping that the $500,000 or so total $$ I stand to earn this year isn’t all taxed at the 39.6% rate. Any guidance or assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi,

It is a great idea to file taxes as an S-Corporation of your LLC to save taxes, because if you filed taxes as an LLC then you will have to pay self employment taxes on the entire income. To lower your taxes you can also setup your retirement plan to defer taxes.

Ask a Question