USA Loan Loss Provision Charge In CECL Accounting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I come from non-financial background, so please bear with me. I wanted to under how exactly the CECL loan provision is recorded on balance sheet.

Background:
Assume a Bankcorp has 100 Million $ of loans on Jan 2020. Due to Covid related economic contraction say it estimates a CECL of 20 Million $USD. Now the bank in Q1 10Q takes it as a charge (provision for loan loss) and sets aside the sum in loan loss account.

So:
Net interest income Q1 : 18Million $
Provision for loan loss: 20 Million $
------
Net income: (2) Million $

My question now is:
Will the same provision for loan loss charge be taken in Q2, Q3, Q4 as well? Like-

Net Interest income Q2, Q3, Q4: 18Million, 19 Million, 21 Million $
Provision for loan loss: 20 Million, 20 Million, 20 Million
------
Net income: (2) million, (1) million, 1 million

Or is it taken only once and the further charges will just be increase/decrease in provision for loan loss?

Or is it even more convoluted with the provisional loss charge being taken each quarter (as in first question) - Thereby likely causing net income in each quarters to be negative and only annual net income to be a positive number.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are correct : taken only once and the further charges will just be increase/decrease in provision for loan loss

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting! Thanks Kirby.

That makes me think, wont that motivate the banks to under-estimate credit loss estimates? I mean who would want to show bad earnings by taking larger loss provisions? What part of GAAP prevents the "speading out" of CECL?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Answers:
Yes
No one
GAAP itself. But further- a bank will have independent CPA's to audit its books as well as bank regulators. Both will review the loss provision to see that it is appropriate.

Ask a Question