Money has detected that you did not close file - corruption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Windows 10 ? Microsoft Money 2004 (ver12 - uk edition)

Hello.... don't know if anyone can help me out here (although I suspect I am screwed)???

Recently attempted to run Money and it reported the following error:

'Money has detected that you did not close file 'XXXX' before exiting.

Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this make take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now? If you click NO, you will need to open a different Money file'.

When I select 'Yes', it reports 'The password you entered was incorrect, please try again' (even though I know I entered the correct password.

I have tried running the backup file and that is reported as a non-money file or corrupt.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might recover the data?? Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Same thing happened to me two days after you. I seem to have lost 5 years of data and transactions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Bets527

I eventually actually managed to salvage the data (about 17 years worth)!

Turns out Money creates (hidden) temporary files in the folder where your .mny money file is saved.

Just got to folder where the money file is saved and configure File Explorer to show hidden files.... select most recent temporary file and open with Money. Hope this work for you.

Ask a Question