Owner selling personal property as business inventory

Reaction score
I am adding personal property to be sold as inventory for my company. Then it goes into a owners capital(Cr) account. When it sells will it look like income if I take it out of the capital account(Dr)? or can the inventory be debited into an expense or liability account

Reaction score
When you add inventory you Dr. Inventory and credit cash. When you sell the inventory, you

Dr. COGS
Dr. Cash
Cr. Inventory
Cr. Sales

Thanks,
Allan Madan CPA, CA

Counterofbeans

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am adding personal property to be sold as inventory for my company. Then it goes into a owners capital(Cr) account. When it sells will it look like income if I take it out of the capital account(Dr)? or can the inventory be debited into an expense or liability account
So you are contributing personal property to your business & you intend that to be a capital contribution?

At inception, you'd Dr. Inventory and Cr. Additional Paid in Capital (although, this doesn't sound like a C-corp. Is this an S or LLC corp by chance?).

I don't know how your business works, nor the sales terms. At the most rudimentary level, your JEs upon sales would be:

Dr. Accounts Receivable
Cr. Sales

Dr. Cost of Goods Sold
Cr. Inventory

My instincts tell me that your sales terms are more complicated than that though.

Ask a Question