Puerto Rico "401K" rollover to the US (complicated)

Discussion in 'Individuals' started by jeffkruse, Dec 2, 2016.

  1. jeffkruse


    Jun 16, 2014
    Likes Received:
    I have $60K in a Puerto Rico 1165e from when I worked there. I do not live there now and will not live there again. All I want to do is roll that money into a rollover IRA at Vanguard in the states. Sounds simple? It's not. I've spent 8 hours on the phone with about 9 people and I still don't have an trustworthy answer.

    Unanimously everyone says that the PR bank will take 20% and give it to the PR government. The consequences of that no one can agree on.

    My question is then what? Can I get that 20% as a tax credit here in the US? Since I don't owe any more taxes here will the Feds just give me a $12K refund even though that 12K is in PR?

    Am I done paying taxes on it? Will I have to pay a 10% penalty? To avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty if I put it in a IRA here I will have to pay taxes on it again when I take it out?

    Thanks for any help!!! :)
    jeffkruse, Dec 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.