Canada Question regarding Equity and expenses

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying for an exam and I have a question: if I am paying for a bunch of expenses through a personal bank account, instead of a business account, when I enter this in my books do I debit expense and credit equity? Is this even allowed? There is no answer for this question, and it has my friend and I stumped.

Thank you.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends. If paying through the personal to be reimbursed by the business then credit receivable. If the owner will not get reimbursed then its additional contributions to the company.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Depends. If paying through the personal to be reimbursed by the business then credit receivable. If the owner will not get reimbursed then its additional contributions to the company.
Thank you. I will try and answer both ways.

1) When you say credit receivable do you mean I book it as Dr. Office expense, Cr. Payables - John Smith?

2) Does this mean the answer could be Dr. Office expense, Cr. Owner's Equity - John Smith?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, if you're paying the expenses, you would credit them, not debit them. The two ways in which I can see a viable solution is either:

a)
Credit Additional Paid-in Capital

Ask a Question