Questions regarding accountant's actions

Reaction score
I submitted all of the necessary tax information to my accountant on Feb. 8, 2008 for him to prepare the tax returns for our personal return, as well as our S-corp and LLC.

He stated a week later that it appeared I had given him all the required information. He did call me a few times the week of March 8th with some clarification questions.

Then I didn't hear anything from him. I sent him an email at the end of March requesting a status on the completion of our returns. I didn't hear anything. Between April 1st and April 20th, I called or emailed every few days asking for an update. I never got any response. Tax deadline came and went without ever hearing from him.

Finally on April 23, he sent me an email that said he was sorry for the delay but his daughter was diagnosed with asthma so he was out of the office. Out of the office the 3 weeks prior to tax deadline???? For asthma????

He also stated in the email that he filed extensions for all 3 returns (individual, S-corp and LLC). And I haven't heard from him again since. I've tried calling and emails. I finally got a hold of him this past Monday. He said he would get back to me "within the hour" with an answer of when I can expect to have my returns completed. It's now 48 hours later and no answer.

My questions are...

Can he file an extension without our permission? We never agreed to having an extension filed. If I had known an extension was necessary at the end of March when I was trying to contact him, I would have hired another accountant so that we could file on time. I busted my butt to get my information to him the first week of February so he would have time to complete the returns on time.

I have no proof that he really filed for the extensions or that he filed on time. Can I call the IRS to verify that the extensions were applied for.

I understand that the extension is only for filing the return, not for any taxes due. So we'll owe interest on the taxes that were due April 15th. Again, because we did not consent to an extension I feel that this interest that will be due is unfair to us because I would have never consented to an extension. Do I have any recourse in recouping any of this interest from the accountant?

From talking to other accountants, it seems that 4 months to complete these tax returns is unacceptable. Is that true?? I know it's hard to say without seeing that state of our affairs.

I would appreciate any insight, guidance, and advice into this situation. I'm very frustrated and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Ask a Question