USA Restricted funds entry/expensing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am a non-accountant working as a bookkeeper for a non-profit. For a couple of months now I have been befuddled by how to handle this simple situation:

A non-profit receives $10,000 for a project. Of this $1,000 is to be restricted to on-going site maintenance and $9,000 is to be used for the actual project.

Given:
  1. our simple accounting needs,
  2. we must generate reports for the donor that differentiate between normal operations/project
  3. the bookkeeper is not an accountant

an accountant friend recommended that we hold these restricted funds in a sub-account (100102) of our banking account (1001). So if his solution is not optimal, don't critique the poor fellow for trying to make my life easier. :)

Anyhow, I can get the funds into 100102 (restricted to site maintenance) without issue. The issue I am having is that when the funds move into 100102, I also need these funds to register as an project expense against the original $10,000. Since the cash flow from 1001 to 100102 is virtual, no expense is created. So the balance sheet doesn't show a problem, but it leaves no expense for the project.

When I attempt to introduce our project expense account (6-9100) into a transaction, I need to put an offsetting credit SOMEWHERE. But where? (Head-against-wall).

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think your difficulty lies in the recording of the books of your donor contribution. If funds received are restricted; the funds need to be segregated on the Statement of Activities between restricted vs. unrestricted funds. I put together a little sample company (see attachment of Sample 123 Co.). Hopefully this should clear up any confusion. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're welcome! Note that the financial statements (Statement of Activities and Statement of Functional Expenses) are created on p. 2. (The Balance Sheet I did not include because it would only show both Cash balances at $0.) In my example, there is no change in "net assets" for the year, because the funds received and program costs incurred offset one another. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ask a Question