UK Shareholder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am a shareholder in a business. I have looked at the accounts on companies house and the accounts that are filed state what I should be owed per annum at the end of each financial year. I am paid a monthly figure by the business however it does not equate to the sum stated in the accounts. Am I reading the accounts incorrectly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you provide a bit more details on this.

Are you the only shareholder in the company?
Are you a director in the company?
Are you receiving any payments as dividends every qtr or during the year?
Which section are you looking at when you are comparing your payments to?

Normally accounts filed on companies' house don't provide individual shareholder-level payment details. If you are a director your monthly payments would be under director's salaries, if you are getting dividends it would be under dividends paid, if you have a loan account with the company, it would be as a director's loan account. So there are multiple ways to cross check the amount you are getting against what you should have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thank you so much for the reply.
I am not the only shareholder, there are two others. I am also not a director, only a shareholder. I don’t receive any other payments other than a fixed monthly payment which hasn’t changed in the last three years at least. I am looking at the section titled ‘related party disclosures’ and under this section my name is mentioned as a shareholder and that the company owes me ‘X’ amount. Hope this gives a bit more info?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am assuming the amount you are being paid for is not salary or dividend payment, I can think of the below scenario,

You sold something to your company for £10k, since you are a shareholder its a related party to the company and they have to disclose the transactions in the accounts.

If you are being paid £100/a month, end of the year payments to you would be £1200 but in the accounts the amount owed to you would be £8800 (£10000 less £1200), next year it would be £7600 and then £6400 and so on and so forth. So are you sure you are not comparing the payments made into your account with what is owed to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See I think it is dividends? I invested some money into the company around 20+ years ago and have never paid/sold anything further to the company etc. I in return have only ever had a monthly payment made into my bank account from the company. The company has grown quite substantially in the last 6 years which is why I am questioning the amount I am being paid.

Ask a Question