SSDI Reportable or not?

Reaction score
I am an accountant who works as a controller and get a lot of tax questions. I have a co-worker who has asked me for help with preparing his return. One matter that has come up I have a question on are his SSDI payments.

My co-worker received two W-2's with his SSN but referencing his mother and father respectively. He provides more support for his parents than these two W-2 forms so he can claim them as a dependent. What I don't know is if I should report the information on my co-workers return as income. Internet searches have said yes and no and one of those searches led me here.

Greg

Reaction score
This wasn't making sense so I told the employee to read everything on the W-2 and this turns out to be from the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services for what appears to be payments to him for care for both of his parents. So it isn't SSDI after all despite my co-worker thinking it was.

Greg

Ask a Question