USA Tax, Managerial or Audit for new accounting career

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've really appreciated the great questions and advice in this forum so far. I'm starting a new career in accounting at age 45. My question is which area to specialize in and what sort of job can I get while still in school.

I'm looking for some broad advice on the different paths, ie Tax, Audit, Managerial, Public or Private.

My priorities are:
1-I'm married with a small child in our family. I'm looking for something stable that can let me fund my IRA and make up for some less than fruitful years.
2- I enjoy working in professional organizations where there is room to grow. I'm not sure if I want to work in small, five person, office.
3- Will a CPA firm hire an older person that has the education but not as an undergrad from a top ranked school. I'm going to UCLA extension in their accounting certificate program. I'll have all of the ed requirements for the CPA exam by 2015.
4- If I do get a job at a CPA firm will it destroy my family life.
5- I do enjoy helping the arts and education. Can I eventually get a job in a university, and would it pay anything.
6- If I do work for a CPA firm, what can I do once I leave? Can I choose what I want to specialize in?
7- If eventually I want to work for myself, am I correct in thinking that I'll be doing lots of tax work and thus I should just specialize in that now?
8- Finally, does anyone have any experience working for the IRS? I noticed they will hire people with 30 credit hours in accounting. I will have that by this summer. I'm unemployed now and landing a full time job that supports me while I finish my classes sounds good to me. If I do this plan, I most likely would move from the IRS once I complete my classes and jump into a regional CPA firm and specialize in tax.

I know that I may have maxed out your attention with this many questions, but any advice or direction is surely appreciated!

Thank You!

Latebloomer

PS.
My background is in education management in the for profit sector with a small, family owned, company. While I learned much in my old job, I felt the skills weren't that transferable, and thus I felt a bit trapped. I chose accounting for my next career as I wanted something professional with a defined body of knowledge that would provide me with lots of job opportunities. Who knew I would really like it?

I

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will send you a private message on this - by tomorrow or Saturday

Ask a Question