UK UK-LTD Company paying owner which is tax-resident abroad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm in a bit of a pickle, and unsure where to turn for advice.
I'm the owner of a one-man LTD company in the UK.
Due to the whole covid thing, I've ended up moving back to Italy, and as such, I'm now a tax resident over here.
I would usually pay myself by a low PAYE wage and dividends.
Being in Italy would complicate that flow quite heavily, and make it less advantageous.
Can I be hired by my own company, rather than on PAYE, as a foreign contractor?
And if so, would I have to pay taxes to the UK on the income I make, and pay taxes for in Italy, doing so?

Thank you in advance for any answer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If you are resident in Italy and have income in UK you pay UK tax. However any income from Italy you are exempt from UK tax.
The company is a legal separate entity from you and there is no reason why you cannot act as a subcontractor in your name on this basis.
It is better to make sure you have a legal contract in place.

Kind regards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If you are resident in Italy and have income in UK you pay UK tax. However any income from Italy you are exempt from UK tax.
The company is a legal separate entity from you and there is no reason why you cannot act as a subcontractor in your name on this basis.
It is better to make sure you have a legal contract in place.

Kind regards
Thanks a lot for your answer!

If I may double-check I understood you correctly: being a programmer, I assume that my income is perceived as received wherever I do carry out the work, which in this case, would be Italy, as I sit in my room here, and program for people in another nation (Poland).
My company is the one that gets paid, and it is in UK, but as a subcontractor working for it, I live and work in Italy and should be paid there.
Thus I assume that it is correct for me to do that, and that not to register as director compensation (which as far as I understand is usually considered UK income)?

Thanks again!

Ask a Question