USA When to go out on your own

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the site, glad I found it. Anyway, I am accountant currently working in private industry. I currently only have 1.5 year of experience and am beginning the process of studying for the CPA. In that 1.5 years I have learned a ton (I would have to say more than most newbies...I have been lucky to have a boss who trusts me and I have worked my rear end off to be the go to expert on several high priority aspects of the company. I am also the resident excel guru and regularly teach my boss with 30 years experience how to do things differently). It has also given my insight into a particular niche that could be a very good market for a one man show to make a decent living.

I know it is years away, but I am already beginning to think about when the the time would be right to put my own shingle out and become self employed. The corporate world is not exactly my cup of tea. I do enjoy the work (when I am thrown an interesting project that actually requires the use of my brain), and without the constant unnecessary meetings and endless streams of email I think the corporate life would be for me, but alas, it is the nature of the beast. I know that I will need more experience and have no intention of making these moves any time soon, but I was just curious if any of you have made the move and would like to know what triggered it for you.

Ask a Question