USA Working in a county different from my tax filing address

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I wanted to ask if it is legal to work 1-2 days per week in a county different than the address I file my taxes with? The earned money is going to be less than $10,000 per year. Some people say I don't even need to file, but I like to be on the safe side. Would IRS question my taxes? I live in CA if it makes a difference. Any advice is appreciated.

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since the US taxes you on your worldwide income, as long as you declare all your income, I don't think the IRS will care very much about the amount. But you could always ask them, if you're really concerned about it.

I think the immigration authorities will be more interested in your situation. Unless you're a citizen of the country in which you'll be working 1-2 days per week, you'd need a visa that would allow you to work there legally. Which country will you be working in, and in which country will you be filing your taxes?

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The poster asked about county not country

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The poster asked about county not country
Oops. My mistake.

In that case, why would there be a legal problem of any kind? Unless the county/municipality where you're working 1-2 days per week assesses its own income tax, or if that county is in another state, I don't think there would be an issue with any US taxing authority. The IRS won't care, so long as you've included all your income.

Ask a Question