UK Hey Guys What Job Shall I Go For?

esa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, i have self studied my ACCA, i am newly qualified and my expirnce in my field is on the weak side

i was working as an assistant accountant to gain exp

recently i passed the interview from two roles one within bank of america and one for a large company

bank of america is a product controller/finance role:

Main responsibilities of the role will include general ledger reconciliation, P&L preparation, risk reconciliation and preparation. Successful candidates will have daily interaction with colleagues across the organisation, predominantly: front office, middle office / operations, wider finance group and numerous other departments.

You will work within the wider CFO group, which enjoys a reputation within Bank of America Merrill Lynch for flawless financial management and control. Our people are valued business partners and advisers to leaders in our business lines.

As a product controller your main responsibilities will involve:

• Daily P&L/ product control functions, business reporting and ledger substantiation
  • Working with Front Office to explain their P&L
  • Working across the team to agree correct accounting treatment for trades and portfolio
  • Balance sheet substantiation
  • Constant monitoring and improvements of risk control process
  • Implement improvements to the system infrastructure & control environment
  • Production and monitoring of Daily and Monthly KPI’s
  • Deliver support for new products and initiatives
  • Drive standardisation of process, application and data source.

As a product controller the following experience is desirable:

• Strong understanding of deal life cycle with good appreciation of operational risks and mitigating control activities.
  • Gain a good understanding of the systems and the shortfalls, able to work around and work closely with IT to develop system and resolve issues.
  • Good problem solving skills for numerous reconciliations ranging from actual to trader estimate, ARAP reconciliations between ledger and system.

large company is an assistant accountant role:

b responsibilities:

• Daily cashbook reconciliations- Liaise with transactional teams to ensure bank account control
  • Processing and raising customer rebate credit notes and invoices
  • Accruals and prepayments
  • Stock adjustment journals
  • Other month end jnls
  • Balance sheet reconciliations
  • Fixed asset additions and disposals
  • Branch P&L queries
  • Ad hoc reporting and anlaysis
  • The ability to cover for other team members: petty cash, purchasing card admin, manual payments etc.

my question .is what is better for my being ACCA? what gives me more exposure? more career progression? better salary?

i was checking product controller salaries they are decent, but will this mean i cannot call myself an accountant?

what role would you go for?

Ask a Question