Thinking about being an accountant. Please answer some questions! =)

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently in college and is pursuing an accountant degree, but I'm not too sure is it right for me. So can can you guys give me some info on how the life of an accountant is? I created a long list, but feel free to just choose the questions you want to answer. Much appreciated!

1. How flexible is a degree in accounting? Would you be able to switch to another job easily?
2. How important is a CPA degree compare to a bachelor’s degree in accountant?
3. On average, how many years would I need to work before I can advance from being an entry accountant to intermediate accountant?
4. How difficult is the CPA exam and what contents does it cover?
5. What are the pros and cons of working for a private firm and public firm?
6. Do you find the work to be stressful? Do all accountants do the same sort of work?
7. What jobs can I get with just an accountant degree, but no previous accounting experience?
8. What is the working environment like?
9. What is your least favorable thing about the job?
10. How often do accountants’ salaries increase?
11. How much more work do you get during the tax season compare to a regular day?
12. How stable is it to work as an accountant? Like what are the chances of being fired?
13. After a few years of working as an accountant, do you find the work to be tedious and repetitive?
14. How important is it to build a strong relationship with your coworkers?

Reaction score
Accounting is one of the best backgrounds to have in business. You can easily switch jobs and work in many divisions of a company. CPA is only critical if you want to own your own practice. Salaries and/or benefits increase once a year. You should easily be able to find low level accounting work. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question