1099 question

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I heard the most amazing story from a coworker. She had worked for a small business (6 employees). They received paychecks with deductions -e.g. 40 hrs @ $10 per hour the check would be for $350 with aprox. $50 deducted for taxes etc. (I am making up the numbers). The checks were written on regular company checks with no stubs showing deductions. At the end of the year instead of receiving W-2's they all received 1099-misc's. The 1099's showed that they were paid $350 as subcontractors. When they contacted IRS and explained the story, they were asked to show stubs to prove it. The owner of the business flat out lied and said that they were paid $350 a week as subcontractors. She was telling me this two years later and the IRS was still insisting that they pay the taxes owed on the 1099's.

The reason I share this is that last year I went to work for a shady company that paid all employee's as subs and 1099'ed them. I was set up to work as a sub (incorporated, Fed ID #, etc.) so I gave my FEID # instead of my SS# and told them to write the checks to my corporation. Everything was fine until several checks bounced, causing my business account to become overdrawn and causing me huge headaches. The company had just gotten a payroll company and put everyone on the books so I told the boss to put me on the books too.

Today the bookeeper (the boss' wife) gave me my W-2 and told me that I would get my 1099 next week. I told her that I should not get a 1099 because no checks went to me - only my corporation. She didn't know what I was talking about. I became worried as I realized that they now had my SS# through the payroll company. I went in the office to talk to her about it and she told me not to worry because she wouldn't give me a 1099. The attitude she said it with made me believe that she would just throw it in the trash and not give it to me but it was already filed with the IRS.

So my question is: can I find out if a 1099-misc was filed under my SS# without waiting a year and a half to get a CP2000 in the mail from IRS. Also, if it was filed, how can I prove that all checks were written to my corporation and not me?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To prove checks were written to the corporation you need a copy of a few checks. If you photocopied them you've got the proof. If you did not and deposited them in a bank then you can call the bank to get a copy (but they usually charge about $10 a copy or more).
By law you should get your tax forms for 2012 by 1/31/13 from the employer. So then you will find out what has been filed.

Ask a Question