A few interview questions for those of you who use accounting software

Reaction score
I was asked to interview someone regarding what accounting software they use, but I'm running kind of late and figured I might get some responses here. Your responses can be short, but I will most likely pick the more lengthy one as I need to present it.

1. Name of Software you use.

2. Type of software (batch vs non-batch).

3. Why you chose that software (or why it was chosen for you).

4. Good points of software.

5. Bad points of software.

6. Other pieces of information you wish to add that may be interesting?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was asked to interview someone regarding what accounting software they use, but I'm running kind of late and figured I might get some responses here. Your responses can be short, but I will most likely pick the more lengthy one as I need to present it.

Thanks in advance!
I don't understand these kinds of interview questions and when faced with them I get up and walk out. # 1 and 2 are ok but the rest are ridiculous

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
It looks like they're some good questions, but I would recommend the following:

For question number 2, I don't think you need to have (batch v. non-batch). Nowadays, accounting packages are sold through licenses. Question number 3 I would change it to why did the company/organization chose it.

Just my thoughts for the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interview questions

I don't understand these kinds of interview questions and when faced with them I get up and walk out. # 1 and 2 are ok but the rest are ridiculous
For me at least I can honestly say that I can learn any software, accounting, graphics, you name it, within days! When I tell people that they look at me like I have three heads. I challenged someone once to let me sit and try to work on their software for a half hour then test me. They chuckled and smirked (ticked me off actually) but they let me do it. They came back in a half hour and asked me a bunch of obscure questions and I nailed every thing they wanted, no problem. To me at least the important thing is the accounting and then software is or should be secondary. But it seems to be such a big point for employers so I said to heck with all of the MUST HAVE THREE YEARS QUICKBOOKS EXPERIENCE and I taught myself. I could run circles around alot of more experienced users within a week.

Some people are illiterate when it comes to software but just because they know the software doesn't mean they know accounting.

I am also self taught for the most part on accounting and I just passed a CFO level exam for a job a few months ago. No fancy degree, no nothing, years of experience and common flipping sense.

These types of interview questions are why, at age 53, I now work for myself

Ask a Question