USA Haven't filed taxes for a few years

Reaction score
Country
United States
Situation: I worked out of state for a few years and have not filed a return during this time. I've never paid much attention to these things since I always claim zero dependents. This is the first time I have worked out of state and kept a residence in another state and didn't think about state taxes. The state I was working in has no state income tax. Now I am wondering what kind of pickle I might be in.

Question: Will they charge me a "significant" penalty when I file taxes? Should I get a Tax Attorney to deal with any issues relating to this?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To calculate penalty, you need to have the unfiled returns prepared. So start with that first -( a tax atty at the outset is overkill). Ask friends to recommend a good tax preparer and have the unfiled returns prepared. Then the preparer can advise you on the next step. Most likely you will just file and pay tax and penalties.

Ask a Question